Saturday, June 28, 2008

BBB: The Beauty and the Brains in Biolabs

So far I've written extensively about PRISE events and not about what occupies 75% of my time during my summer here in Cambridge - my research.

I'll start by introducing you to the Harvard BioLabs, the place where I work and where many renowned scientists work and have worked. Compared to the newer research buildings in the vicinity, such as Fairchild, Bower/Naito, Mallinckrodt, and the brand new Northwest Building, BioLabs has probably the longest history.


Situated in the Cabot Science Complex just outside Harvard Yard (and ~15 minute walk from the Leverett Towers), the BioLabs is the home to the Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology and some of the Organismic and Evolutionary Biology research.

The place derives its magnificence not from its architecture and layout (which is somewhat mundane - its main entrance is not even visible to the street outside), but from great research that continuously churns in its inner bowels. For instance, it boasts the room in which James Watson made his contribution to the historic discovery of DNA's double-helix structure. The concentrated intellectual atmosphere here is both stimulating and intimidating. It's hard still for me to grasp that beyond the doors I walk by each day and in the rooms in which I perform my experiments, world-changing science is taking place 24/7. Research here ranges from developmental biology (the field in which I work), to immunology, to stem cell research, to pheromones, to neuroscience, and all the way to evolutionary analysis. The faculty in BioLabs (and in other research buildings as well) is certainly a gathering of the world's leaders in research.


Though I've deemed BioLab's physicality "mundane," it does have some unique, interesting features. Basically an U-shaped building with five stories and two levels in the basement, the BioLabs is adorned with zoological themes. Along the top rim of the building runs a series of animal carvings with their respective animal names. There are a cluster elephants, a bear, a lion, a deer, a turtle, and many other animals (with more descriptive names, of course). Also, two rhino statues (the BioLabs' mascots) guard the main entrance of the building. I've been told that they are both female and that each has a name, but I'm still trying to find out what their names are.

The building surrounds a big courtyard, in which the centerpiece is a sandy stretch of beach volleyball court.

Every afternoon some hard-working researchers relax by means of a friendly game of volleyball. There is actually a volleyball tournament taking place among the labs in the area, in which lab teams play against each other, so there is a game taking place almost every afternoon.


On Friday, June 27th, the Biolabs hosted its annual picnic in the courtyard, with barbecue, hot dogs, salads, and loads of food and drinks. Some faculty and researchers brought their kids to the picnic, and there was a kids area with many games, such as a potato sack race and a water balloon fight. As usual, the weather was not on our side , and near the last third of the picnic, a monsoon-like storm cut the picnic short. It was a great event though, because it brought together all the scientists in the huge building and revealed to me how close and tight-knit the scientific community is here at Harvard.


This is it about my work location. As to the kind of research I'm doing, I'll leave it to a future post :)

No comments: